Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lead Poisoning Exposure - Are you at risk?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Lead Poisoning Exposure - Are you at risk?

Just a heads up for some who may not know some facts on Lead Exposure while shooting.
    While the risk can be minimized it can not be eliminated totally.

If if you shoot , reload, or even enter shooting ranges you are at risk of Lead Exposure.
    I have tracked my levels for years, and have seen a sharp spike in mine recently.
    So I thought I would remind folks to be diligent in minimizing there risk of exposure.

First be careful not to touch your mouth , eyes , nose, while shooting. Wash your hands and face after shooting. Including arms if not covered. Obviously if the lead dust is on your hands and face it is on your clothes , hat, range bag, shoes, etc... Be careful not to track these items through your house, exposing family etc.. To your lead dust picked up at the range. This is why we NEVER broom sweep the range!
    The dust is everywhere , do not stir it up.
    If you do not understand the amount that can be hazardous to yourself and others her is a example:

• 4. How much lead does it take to get lead poisoning?
      The amount is incredibly small: 10 micrograms per deciliter of blood.
      If you're metrically challenged, here's a way to visualize what that means.
      • A deciliter is about 1/2 of a cup.
      • A packet of sweetener (either the pink or blue stuff) is one gram.
      • There are one million micrograms in a gram.
      • So, divide the stuff from one packet into one million piles. (Pretend!)
      • Now, discard 999,990 of those "piles."
      • Take the remaining 10 piles and mix them into half a cup of liquid.

Voila! You now have a representation of how much lead it takes to poison a child.
    As children are much MORE susceptible to lead poisoning, don't discount that your extended exposure over and over will also have negative health risks for yourself.

Post is not intended to frighten , but to educate your awareness to this potential health risk.
    I have stepped up my efforts to minimize my exposure.
    Removing clothing immediately and keeping separate from other laundry, removing shoes before entering the house, and using those shoes only for shooting. Google lead at shooting ranges for a plethora information concerning this subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/labor-standards/deleading-and-lead-safety/occupational-lead-poisoning-registry/shooting-range-bulletin.pdf

Next time your at the Dr's office doing blood work, request a lead level test, it's good info to have. :)

Plumbism: Be cautious of. :)
    Last edited by Gamer Gun; 06-12-2016 at 07:02 PM.
    Matt B.

CTASA Vice-President

Cross Timbers IDPA
    Cross Timbers Defensive Carbine
    Cross Timbers USPSA

NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member
    SSP-Master
    PCC-Master
    CDP-Expert
    ESP-Expert
    CCP-Expert
    BUG-Expert
    REV-Sharpshooter
    B Production USPSA

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good post
    John L

IDPA - A131513
    IDPA - Safety Officer
    ESP - SS
    DQ - MA

- Accuracy and speed are not friends. In fact, they donít get along well at all. The intermediary is calmness.

- Tactical - (of a person or their actions) showing skillful planning; aiming at an end beyond the immediate action.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have concerns about this as well. Especially at Winchester with the poor ventilation and rough concrete floors. Would it be possible for the club to purchase a floor squeegee for use in cleaning up brass after matches and keep in our storage area? I assume this would be better than the brooms that Winchester has available.
    Richard H.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
    I have concerns about this as well. Especially at Winchester with the poor ventilation and rough concrete floors. Would it be possible for the club to purchase a floor squeegee for use in cleaning up brass after matches and keep in our storage area? I assume this would be better than the brooms that Winchester has available.
    Absolutely not . We are not in the remediation business. Nor as far as I know are any of you trained industrial hygienists.

The solution is simple, either do not pick up brass or shoot at a different venue. If the Winchester venue is unsafe because of lead then we may need to find and alternate range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserb View Post
    Absolutely not . We are not in the remediation business. Nor as far as I know are any of you trained industrial hygienists.

The solution is simple, either do not pick up brass or shoot at a different venue. If the Winchester venue is unsafe because of lead then we may need to find and alternate range.
    I may have stepped on my dick here as I am new and don't know what may have been discussed regarding this topic before. I thought that we were required to clean up the range after use. My suggestion for the squeegee, just to be clear in case there is a misunderstanding, was the $10 rubber strip on a stick that I have seen at some ranges that does not kick up dust like a broom. I was not suggesting full hazmat gear or equipment. If we are not required to clean up then I agree let's leave it.
    Richard H.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
    I may have stepped on my dick here as I am new and don't know what may have been discussed regarding this topic before. I thought that we were required to clean up the range after use. My suggestion for the squeegee, just to be clear in case there is a misunderstanding, was the $10 rubber strip on a stick that I have seen at some ranges that does not kick up dust like a broom. I was not suggesting full hazmat gear or equipment. If we are not required to clean up then I agree let's leave it.

I was only .5 cups of coffee into the day :)

I think a push squeegee may be a good idea.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a nice case study to read. And if Winchester is getting too dirty to shoot at, then as a club we need to look for other venues

http://projects.seattletimes.com/201...d-with-lead/1/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a nice case study to read. And if Winchester is getting too dirty to shoot at, then as a club we need to look for other venues

http://projects.seattletimes.com/201...d-with-lead/1/
    I may not renew my membership at Winchester the next go round. We had to go to them for lighting(which is still below par compared to other ranges), the air quality is questionable AND it's hotter than the hinges of Hell in there.
    John L

IDPA - A131513
    IDPA - Safety Officer
    ESP - SS
    DQ - MA

- Accuracy and speed are not friends. In fact, they donít get along well at all. The intermediary is calmness.

- Tactical - (of a person or their actions) showing skillful planning; aiming at an end beyond the immediate action.

Downloads
    Uploads
    if Winchester is getting too dirty to shoot at, then as a club we need to look for other venues

Yup - one in NRH should open in the fall http://www.totalshootingsports.com/
    Bob R

ESP - Expert
    SSP - Master
    CCP - Expert
    Production - C

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bobr172 View Post
    Yup - one in NRH should open in the fall http://www.totalshootingsports.com/
    Someone is finally doing something constructive with that old Safeway lot. :-)
    IDPA: A46619
    USPSA: A83380
    GOA: Member

CDP - MA
    ESP - MA
    SSP - EX
    CCP - EX