Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Lead Poisoning Exposure - Are you at risk?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Gamer Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,877
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Just a update on lead levels.
    I have been in the low 20's for years. Now that I have not
    shot at Winchester for the past few months my number
    has gone down to 13
    :)

    Thank you Defender Outdoors & TSS

    *************************
    Lead Poisoning Exposure - Are you at risk?

    Just a heads up for some who may not know some facts on Lead Exposure while shooting.
    While the risk can be minimized it can not be eliminated totally.

    If if you shoot , reload, or even enter shooting ranges you are at risk of Lead Exposure.
    I have tracked my levels for years, and have seen a sharp spike in mine recently.
    So I thought I would remind folks to be diligent in minimizing there risk of exposure.

    First be careful not to touch your mouth , eyes , nose, while shooting. Wash your hands and face after shooting. Including arms if not covered. Obviously if the lead dust is on your hands and face it is on your clothes , hat, range bag, shoes, etc... Be careful not to track these items through your house, exposing family etc.. To your leaddust picked up at the range. This is why we NEVER broom sweep the range!
    The dust is everywhere , do not stir it up.
    If you do not understand the amount that can be hazardous to yourself and others her is a example:



    • 4. How much lead does it take to get leadpoisoning?
      The amount is incredibly small: 10 micrograms per deciliter of blood.
      If you're metrically challenged, here's a way to visualize what that means.
      • A deciliter is about 1/2 of a cup.
      • A packet of sweetener (either the pink or blue stuff) is one gram.
      • There are one million micrograms in a gram.
      • So, divide the stuff from one packet into one million piles. (Pretend!)
      • Now, discard 999,990 of those "piles."
      • Take the remaining 10 piles and mix them into half a cup of liquid.


    Voila! You now have a representation of how much lead it takes to poison a child.
    As children are much MORE susceptible to lead poisoning, don't discount that your extended exposure over and over will also have negative health risks for yourself.

    Post is not intended to frighten , but to educate your awareness to this potential health risk.
    I have stepped up my efforts to minimize my exposure.
    Removing clothing immediately and keeping separate from other laundry, removing shoes before entering the house, and using those shoes only for shooting. Google lead at shooting ranges for a plethora information concerning this subject.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

    http://www.mass.gov/lwd/labor-standards/deleading-and-lead-safety/occupational-lead-poisoning-registry/shooting-range-bulletin.pdf

    Next time your at the Dr's office doing blood work, request a lead level test, it's good info to have. :)

    Plumbism: Be cautious of. :)
    Last edited by Gamer Gun; 05-19-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    Matt B.

    CTASA Vice-President

    Cross Timbers IDPA
    Cross Timbers Defensive Carbine
    Cross Timbers USPSA

    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member
    SSP-Master
    PCC-Master
    CDP-Expert
    ESP-Expert
    CCP-Expert
    BUG-Expert
    REV-Sharpshooter
    B Production USPSA

  2. #22
    Administrator kaiserb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    DFW, Tx
    Posts
    5,308
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamer Gun View Post
    Just a update on lead levels.
    I have been in the low 20's for years. Now that I have not
    shot at Winchester for the past few months my number
    has gone down to 13
    :)


    Thank you Defender Outdoors & TSS

    *************************
    Lead Poisoning Exposure - Are you at risk?

    Just a heads up for some who may not know some facts on Lead Exposure while shooting.
    While the risk can be minimized it can not be eliminated totally.

    If if you shoot , reload, or even enter shooting ranges you are at risk of Lead Exposure.
    I have tracked my levels for years, and have seen a sharp spike in mine recently.
    So I thought I would remind folks to be diligent in minimizing there risk of exposure.

    First be careful not to touch your mouth , eyes , nose, while shooting. Wash your hands and face after shooting. Including arms if not covered. Obviously if the lead dust is on your hands and face it is on your clothes , hat, range bag, shoes, etc... Be careful not to track these items through your house, exposing family etc.. To your leaddust picked up at the range. This is why we NEVER broom sweep the range!
    The dust is everywhere , do not stir it up.
    If you do not understand the amount that can be hazardous to yourself and others her is a example:



    • 4. How much lead does it take to get leadpoisoning?
      The amount is incredibly small: 10 micrograms per deciliter of blood.
      If you're metrically challenged, here's a way to visualize what that means.
      • A deciliter is about 1/2 of a cup.
      • A packet of sweetener (either the pink or blue stuff) is one gram.
      • There are one million micrograms in a gram.
      • So, divide the stuff from one packet into one million piles. (Pretend!)
      • Now, discard 999,990 of those "piles."
      • Take the remaining 10 piles and mix them into half a cup of liquid.


    Voila! You now have a representation of how much lead it takes to poison a child.
    As children are much MORE susceptible to lead poisoning, don't discount that your extended exposure over and over will also have negative health risks for yourself.

    Post is not intended to frighten , but to educate your awareness to this potential health risk.
    I have stepped up my efforts to minimize my exposure.
    Removing clothing immediately and keeping separate from other laundry, removing shoes before entering the house, and using those shoes only for shooting. Google lead at shooting ranges for a plethora information concerning this subject.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

    http://www.mass.gov/lwd/labor-standards/deleading-and-lead-safety/occupational-lead-poisoning-registry/shooting-range-bulletin.pdf

    Next time your at the Dr's office doing blood work, request a lead level test, it's good info to have. :)

    Plumbism: Be cautious of. :)
    After stopping shooting at Winchester my lead number wend down to 9 :)

  3. #23
    Senior Member ClintMorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Burleson, TX
    Posts
    184
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserb View Post
    After stopping shooting at Winchester my lead number wend down to 9 :)
    How is your number at 9 if you only shoot like 2 matches a year? ;)
    ESP EX ('16 Blade-tech Lone Star Championship 1st ESP SS)
    '16 IDPA ESP MM National Champion
    USPSA A-99678
    Production:A
    Carry Optics:B

  4. #24
    Member Steve Toft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    North Richland Hills
    Posts
    87
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    where are you guys getting these tests done and cost ?
    I've never had one and this would be interesting. Thanks
    Steve T. - SSP / SS
    IDPA - A710805

    Don't confuse your right to be heard with a right to be taken seriously.
    9-1-1 is always slower than 9-m-m.

  5. #25
    Senior Member v1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burleson, TX
    Posts
    513
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintMorris View Post
    How is your number at 9 if you only shoot like 2 matches a year? ;)
    Because he forgets to wash his hands after reloading and before masturbating. And he reloads a LOT. ;)
    Paul V.

    IDPA - A56971
    ESP - EX
    SSP - SS
    CDP - SS
    CCP - SS

  6. #26
    Senior Member whyitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,084
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintMorris View Post
    How is your number at 9 if you only shoot like 2 matches a year? ;)
    I think he chews on windowsills.
    John T.

  7. #27
    Senior Member whyitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,084
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toft View Post
    where are you guys getting these tests done and cost ?
    I've never had one and this would be interesting. Thanks
    I get mine during my yearly physical blood labs. You have to ask for the lead level panel. I do not know how much since my insurance pays for it. Mine has been over 20 for years, 26 last year. My doctor says 30 and below should not be a problem for an adult. ???????? If you ask your doctor for the test he will asked why. If you say because I shoot GUNS he may report that to Obamacare. Maybe you can say because I chew on windowsills. My doctor is a hunter/shooter.

    Hope my levels have gone down post Winchester. It takes quite awhile to dissipate naturally. I have not reloaded for years.

    The first few times I got high levels, I got warning/question letters from the State of Texas, that I ignored. There was/is a state law that requires the lab to report anything over 10? to the state. I know people that have tested with high levels but not gotten letters. I have not gotten a letter from the state in recent years. I guess they gave up.

    Remember the fascist Dems continually try to ban lead ammo for our own good.
    Last edited by whyitt; 05-19-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    John T.

  8. #28
    Administrator kaiserb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    DFW, Tx
    Posts
    5,308
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whyitt View Post
    I get mine during my yearly physical blood labs. You have to ask for the lead level panel. I do not know how much since my insurance pays for it. Mine has been over 20 for years, 26 last year. My doctor says 30 and below should not be a problem for an adult. ???????? If you ask your doctor for the test he will asked why. If you say because I shoot GUNS he may report that to Obamacare. Maybe you can say because I chew on windowsills. My doctor is a hunter/shooter.

    Hope my levels have gone down post Winchester. It takes quite a while dissipate to naturally. I have not reloaded for years.

    The first few times I got high levels, I got warning/question letters from the State of Texas, that I ignored. There was/is a state law that requires the lab to report anything over 10? to the state. I know people that have tested with high levels but not gotten letters. I have not gotten a letter from the state in recent years. I guess they gave up.

    Remember the fascist Dems continually try to ban lead ammo for our own good.

    Even if you have to pay for it a lead / heavy metals panel is only $13-25 as an addon.

  9. #29
    Senior Member whyitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,084
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Removed by the author.
    Last edited by whyitt; 05-19-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    John T.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Gamer Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,877
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Going a little off track gentleman, and I use that term loosely.
    Matt B.

    CTASA Vice-President

    Cross Timbers IDPA
    Cross Timbers Defensive Carbine
    Cross Timbers USPSA

    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member
    SSP-Master
    PCC-Master
    CDP-Expert
    ESP-Expert
    CCP-Expert
    BUG-Expert
    REV-Sharpshooter
    B Production USPSA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •