Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MVSA on the 19th. Anyone going?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamer Gun View Post
    If you can see it you can shoot it!!
    knowing the rules and using them is not "looking for issues"
    Poorly designed illegal stages need to be challenged.
    And I for one will. At any match.
    When one goes to a match looking for problems rather to have a good time that's a problem. If a stage is found to be illegal of course it should be thrown out. Taking 3.2.7C out of context, which started this discussion, is a problem.

As for Matt's quote above, "If you can see it you can shoot it!!," which is not found in the rule book, make sure the CoF does not forbid re-engaging a target for safety reasons and/or you're not outside the 180 or Muzzle Safe Points or specified shooting positions determined by the CoF. If you have a question always ask your CSO or MD.

1.2.2D. At its core, IDPA is a self-defense scenario based sport. The props used to create the Course of Fire (CoF) are
    often incomplete but represent buildings, walls, windows, doorways, etc. The CoF will indicate available
    shooting positions.
    The props will be defined in the CoF walk through.

Cody
    Last edited by Sailor; 05-12-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Cody R.

"An APPEASER is one that feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last"
    Winston Churchill

www.deltairrigation.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    When one goes to a match looking for problems rather to have a good time that's a problem. If a stage is found to be illegal of course it should be thrown out. Taking 3.2.7C out of context, which started this discussion, is a problem.

As for Matt's quote above, "If you can see it you can shoot it!!," which is not found in the rule book, make sure the CoF does not forbid re-engaging a target for safety reasons and/or you're not outside the 180 or Muzzle Safe Points or specified shooting positions determined by the CoF. If you have a question always ask your CSO or MD.

1.2.2D. At its core, IDPA is a self-defense scenario based sport. The props used to create the Course of Fire (CoF) are
    often incomplete but represent buildings, walls, windows, doorways, etc. The CoF will indicate available
    shooting positions.
    The props will be defined in the CoF walk through.

Cody
    Asking the dumb ass MD that says "we shot it that way yesterday" is not how you should be clarifying rule questions on a stage. Know the rules, shoot the stage per the rules, protest the stage if penalties are received that can not be backed up by the rules (e.g. you can not shoot T1 after you pass it or you can not shoot T1 from P2, or no makeups on T1 after leaving P1 when it is clearly visible and legal to reengage from other shooting positions.

It is called teaching MDs the rules $100 at a time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not all MDs are dumb asses...Although there are some that need substantial help.....and sometimes a $100.00 bill will improve their desire to learn the rules. Rest assured Mr. AC has checked TX State's stages from stem to stern as have no less than 6 others IDPA in leadership positions.

Pay close attention to each CoF. Each will be shot the same on Staff day and Match day just as it has always been. The CoF, per 1.2.2D, will indicate available shooting positions. Ask questions during the walk-thru. This is a Tier IV match, individual shooters should know the rules. The terms Position of Cover and Shooting Position are interchangeable. At TX State, to avoid confusion, all Start Positions will be labeled with SP and all Shooting Positions/Positions of Cover will be labeled with PoC.

Good luck to all and pray for great weather.

Cody
    Last edited by Sailor; 05-15-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Cody R.

"An APPEASER is one that feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last"
    Winston Churchill

www.deltairrigation.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Not all MDs are dumb asses...Although there are some that need substantial help.....and sometimes a $100.00 bill will improve their desire to learn the rules. Rest assured Mr. AC has checked TX State's stages from stem to stern as have no less than 6 others IDPA in leadership positions.

Pay close attention to each CoF. Each will be shot the same on Staff day and Match day just as it has always been. The CoF, per 1.2.2D, will indicate available shooting positions. Ask questions during the walk-thru. This is a Tier IV match, individual shooters should know the rules. The terms Position of Cover and Shooting Position are interchangeable. At TX State, to avoid confusion, all Start Positions will be labeled with SP and all Shooting Positions/Positions of Cover will be labeled with PoC.

Good luck to all and pray for great weather.

Cody
    I was referring to the MD at MVSA.

The MD at TX State is something else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserb View Post
    I was referring to the MD at MVSA.

The MD at TX State is something else.

Well What? Don't keep us guessing! :)
    Matt B.

CTASA Vice-President

Cross Timbers IDPA
    Cross Timbers Defensive Carbine
    Cross Timbers USPSA

NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member
    SSP-Master
    PCC-Master
    CDP-Expert
    ESP-Expert
    CCP-Expert
    BUG-Expert
    REV-Sharpshooter
    B Production USPSA

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about a "update" on this one. Overall a good match. It had 12 interesting stages and probably the slowest swinger I have ever seen.

There was 1 issue that I am very surprised that no one protested. It involved a stage that had mixed targets with new/old targets and scoring different. I.E this head is all 0 but that one had the 4" circle. There was one stage where the SO running it pulled the line that I have been told about by Randy and Matt. There was a guy on our squad that shut that down or it would have been a $100 lesson. Who knows how they shot it prior to us though.

How about this one.
    IMG_7005.jpg

Between the two Arkansas matches this year I think the CASA match had better stages that were well tuned but some SO's that needed some rulebooking. The MVSA had great stages and pretty decent SO's. Both had issues but not the complete shit shows that I have been told about in years past. The only shitshow I noticed was some of my shooting. :)

I know most here have issues with the MD's/AC's so that's whatever. I know one of the match admin peeps came up to me to see if I saw anything and that's when a discussion about the heads came up. Not sure why he was asking my opinion though.
    He gave a reason but honestly I didn't see it as a huge issue other than if your going to score one with a full 0 then score them all that way.
    Last edited by kells81; 05-21-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Kelley S

NRA Life Member
    IDPA-A29689

SSP- MM- Slow Class
    ESP-MM- Slow Class
    CDP- LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kells81 View Post
    I know one of the match admin peeps came up to me to see if I saw anything and that's when a discussion about the heads came up. Not sure why he was asking my opinion though.
    You have them running scared man. Your reputation of "looking for trouble" proceeds you!!:) That and the wad of $100's sticking out of your back pocket!! :)
    Richard H.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
    You have them running scared man. Your reputation of "looking for trouble" proceeds you!!:) That and the wad of $100's sticking out of your back pocket!! :)
    It's an old trick I use at the strip clubs. I put em in my zipper there though.
    Kelley S

NRA Life Member
    IDPA-A29689

SSP- MM- Slow Class
    ESP-MM- Slow Class
    CDP- LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kells81 View Post
    How about a "update" on this one. Overall a good match. It had 12 interesting stages and probably the slowest swinger I have ever seen.

There was 1 issue that I am very surprised that no one protested. It involved a stage that had mixed targets with new/old targets and scoring different. I.E this head is all 0 but that one had the 4" circle. There was one stage where the SO running it pulled the line that I have been told about by Randy and Matt. There was a guy on our squad that shut that down or it would have been a $100 lesson. Who knows how they shot it prior to us though.
    Great explanation Kelley, I would only add that I had two other issues I saw with stages. Should I have protested maybe 1, it was next to last stage and rain clouds were threatening so I was a little in "Let's just get this sh*t done" mode. Starting next to a window WITH a fault line and the SO stated T1 & T2 could be engaged in any order. It was questioned and the SO reiterated and we shot it that way- So I will say no more about it.

The second was some creative language on the stage description that I felt addressed the issue. At start open door to "your house" you must then engage the threat target from BEHIND the fault line that is to the left of the door frame. I asked the question about the why the target wouldn't be engaged in the open since it was a "surprise" target. The response was it was not a surprise target and since the SD called for engaging targets from cover- ok.

I'm first going to say that having worked matches I understand all the hard work and effort that goes into one, but the bonus is my trophy...
    AR state trophy.jpg
    You see what's wrong with this picture?
    Mike W.

IDPA A793976
    Safety Officer
    SSP- SS
    ESP- SS (Gulf Coast Championship 2017)
    CDP- MM
    CCP- SS (Arkansas State Championship 2017)

USPSA A-90693
    Prod- C
    L10- D

The hottest layers of Hell are reserved for those who in times of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality- Dante Alighieri

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sysifus View Post
    I'm first going to say that having worked matches I understand all the hard work and effort that goes into one, but the bonus is my trophy...
    AR state trophy.jpg
    You see what's wrong with this picture?
    HA! HA! HA! That's a riot!

8.2.4 FAIL!!
    - Shane
    A 47098
    SSP - EX (Lone Star Championship 2014)
    ESP - EX (Silver Dollar 2016)
    CCP - EX (MVSA 2016)
    CDP - MA (Gulf Coast Championship 2017)
    BUG - SS

Springfield XDm 9, .40, .45